Please upgrade your browser.
Fighting Enforcement & Keeping Families Together in the Trump Era
- $150.00 - Legal Worker or Student
- $250.00 - Current Attorney Members of NIPNLG, NLG, or Minority Bar Associations before April 14th
- $300.00 - Non-Member Attorney before April 14th
Topics for this CLE, hosted by the National Immigration Project of the National Lawyers Guild, will include: Defending non-citizens with criminal records, Raids and Motions to Suppress, Suing the government for violating your clients rights—Damages Remedies, Strategies to challenge your client’s ongoing detention, Challenging reinstatement of removal, Movement lawyering in the Era of Trump.
This CLE is perfect for: Immigration Law Practitioners, Local/Regional Immigration Bar Members, Pro bono Firm Lawyers, Civil Rights Attorneys and Community Organization Members.
Fighting Enforcement and Keeping Families Together in the Trump Era
Learn about how to be best defend your clients under Trump and resist his tactics!
Who Should Attend?
Immigration Law Practitioners, Local/Regional Immigration Bar Members,
Pro bono Firm Lawyers, Civil Rights Attorneys, Community Group Members
CLE Seminar Location:
John Marshall Law School, Blackburn Conference Center
1405 Spring St NW, Atlanta, GA 30309
Credit Hours: 6.6 hours of CLE credit approved
CLE Seminar Agenda
8:30 - 9:00am: Registration - Coffee will be provided
9:00 - 9:05 am: Welcome
9:05 - 10:20am: Challenging Evidence of Alienage
Faculty: Rex Chen and Eunice Cho
- Evidence objections
- Motions to suppress
- Motions to terminate
- Practice tips and coordination with broader advocacy efforts
10:15 - 11:15 am: Strategies to Challenge Detention via Habeas
Faculty: Rebecca Sharpless and Brad Banias
- What statute governs detention? INA 235, 236(a) or (c), or 241
- Law around prolonged/mandatory detention in the 11th Circuit
- Practice tips and strategies in the Georgia District Courts
11:15 - 11:25am: Break
11:25 - 12:30pm: Challenges to DHS Orders of Removal
Faculty: Trina Realmuto and Stacy Tolchin
- Statutory and regulatory authority of expedited removal and reinstatement orders
- Assessing, minimizing, and responding to the risk of expanded expedited removal and increased use of reinstatement orders
- Administrative means to seek reconsideration or reopening of expedited removal and reinstatement decisions
- Federal court challenges to expedited removal orders and reinstatement orders
12:30 - 1:30pm: Lunch - At approximately 12:30 pm, participants may leave the seminar to have lunch on their own from among a variety of options nearby.
1:30 - 2:35pm: Contesting Removability for Crimes
Faculty: Javier Maldonado and Sejal Zota
- Which Georgia offenses are convictions under immigration law?
- Analysis under categorical approach
- Removal consequences of common Georgia offenses
2:35 - 3:50pm: Damages Remedies: Suing DHS for Violating your Clients’ Rights
Faculty: Brian Spears and Glenda Madrid
- Why should immigrants bring damages suits?
- Overview of type of challenges (FTCA, 1983, Bivens)
3:50 - 4:00pm: Break
4:00 - 5:00pm: The Role of Movement Lawyering in the Era of Trump
Faculty: Adelina Nicholls and Julie Mao
- Role of immigrant lawyers in larger justice movement
- Strategies of grassroots organizations to fight against immigration enforcement
- How you can support your local community
$300 before April 14th or $325 after April 14, 2017
Current Attorney Members of NIPNLG, NLG, or Minority Bar Associations:
$250 before April 14th or $275 after April 14, 2017
Legal Worker or Student:
$150 before and after April 14, 2017
* Full and Partial Scholarships available based on need. Community Groups are encouraged to attend. Please email Tami Jewell at Events@NIPNLG.org for possible alternate pricing.
When you register online, please do NOT select "Continue without Logging in" if you think you already have a record in our system, or you will create a duplicate record for yourself; instead please select Login Help
NIPNLG CLE Sponsored By:
National Immigration Project of the National Lawyers Guild
National Lawyers Guild-AJMLS Chapter
Please send any questions regarding this event to: Events@NIPNLG.org
|Powered by NeonCRM|